Community Action Southwest has found that many residents believe they can handle their day-to-day financial matters; however, they lack the ability to do basic interest calculations and do not understand that their current financial decisions can impact their long-term financial stability.
To help address these findings, the agency offers a workshop series in addition to individual coaching sessions:
- Financial Literacy Workshop Series
- Workshops, consisting of four individual sessions (Planning, Spending, Saving and Borrowing) are offered on a weekly basis. A one-day session of the full 4-course workshop is offered quarterly.
- Workshops are offered to residents with varying backgrounds and include those experiencing near-homelessness to working families in need of debt-management advice.
- Individual Financial Coaching
- The agency follows a client-driven model, where clients identify problem areas and work to find and implement solutions with the support of a caseworker.
Community Action Southwest receives a grant from the United Way of Washington County to operate a portion of this program.